Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mars Bar Slice

It’s my last day in Gladstone today. Thank goodness. I’m all for travelling around and experiencing new things, but going to a small time city for three weeks to work is just tiring and boring. It’s a long enough time to miss my bed and kitchen, but not long enough to bring the necessities of life, such as my mixer. I missed baking. I had to bake. So I made Mars Bar Slice which is so ridiculously easy and requires no beating or machinery.

In America they like to mix rice bubbles with all kinds of things. I can’t say the trend is very big here. Google Krispy Treats and you’ll understand what I mean. Go on. I’ll wait.
See what I mean? It’s bonkers.

Sometimes I find those Americans just so bizarre. Strawberry muffins with caramel streusel for breakfast? What? Starbuck’s Venti Double Chocolate Chip Frappachino with whipped cream and chocolate syrup? WHAT? I just can’t fathom this kind of constant sugar. It literally does not make sense to me. I don’t understand how they consume so. much. sugar.
No way in heck would 90% of Australians eat that diet! Or maybe they do and I’m just sitting up here on my high horse.

Obesity scares me. Not me personally, but as in the rising obesity of the world scares me. What is the population going to look like in 50 years? Will everyone be too fat to get off the couch and do anything? Will our world simply be built around indoor pleasures that allow one to move from their house to work, all whilst in air-conditioning and walking a total of 10 metres a day? That’s not right.  Not to mention how unhealthy everyone will be. Everyone will be lethargic, tired, grumpy and sick, caught in the circle of not wanting to cook healthy real foods, and relying on processed foods and sugar to get energy, only making it all worse. That scares me. I don’t understand how that doesn’t scare others.
I feel a bit hypocritical saying that and then writing a dessert blog. Although I promote moderation. When I cook sweets, I halve the recipe and freeze each one to have a SMALL sweet each day. The remainder of my days is proteins, vegetables and fruit. So remember people. Moderation.

90g butter
Approx 200g Mars Bars
3 cups Rice Bubbles
200g milk chocolate (or a combination of milk and dark)

Prepare a slice tin by lining with alfoil and set aside.
In a glass bowl, place butter and Mars Bars. Heat in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes and remove to stir. This can be done on the stove top if you wish.

Pour Rice Bubbles into the Mars Bar mixture one cup at a time mix. Mix until all combined.
Press into the slice tin with the back of a large metal spoon. Set aside.

Break the block of chocolate into small squares and melt in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted.  
Pour the melted chocolate over the Rice Bubbles mixture and spread evenly.

Cool in fridge until chocolate hardens. Cut into small pieces and keep refrigerated.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment