Friday, August 15, 2014

Orange Cookies

I have a confession to make.

I’m not very good at making cookies.
THERE I SAID IT!

But really, I am far more comfortable making a 4 layer cake extravaganza that I am making 12 little cookies. I think in the past year, the majority of my cookie-making endeavours have been less than successful.
I don’t know why. They just never....work.

I know a few people who balk at recipes with yeast, or anything that requires multiple steps with lots of multi tasking – but me? Hand me a simple chocolate chip cookie recipe and I’ll give you a somewhat apprehensive look.
Cookies are my hurdle.

I made these when the local supermarket had a mega sale on oranges. I love those sales. You end up planning your whole week around that food. (Slight exaggeration but oh well).
So yes, orange cookies it was. These were one of my very few successful cookie attempts. I ate a few warm, and then froze the rest so I could enjoy them long after I baked them. It’s not every day that you’re able to make a good cookie ;)


Cookies:

2 1/2 cups plain flour
1tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
1 cup sugar
2 tbspn orange zest
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg
2 tbspn orange juice, fresh

 

Glaze:

1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tbspn orange zest
1-2 tbspn orange juice, fresh
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.

In another small bowl, combine the sugar and orange zest, rubbing them together with your fingers until it is incorporated and you’re high on the scent.

With your mixer, cream the butter and the sugar/orange mix until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and orange juice. Mix until combined.

Slowly add the flour mixture, on low speed so it doesn’t cover the room in flour.

Scrape down the sides and wack the bowl in the fridge for 30mins.

When you take the dough out of the fridge, turn the oven on to 180oC.

Scoop out bits of dough, roll into balls and place on a baking tray. Bake for 10-12mins until lightly browned. Remove from oven and leave on the hot tray for 5mins before moving them to a rack to cool.

To make the orange glaze, whisk together the icing sugar, orange zest and enough orange juice to make it just spreadable.

You can either pipe squiggles over like I’ve done or just smother the whole cookie.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment