Monday, September 15, 2014

Blueberry Ice Cream

*clears throat*

Ladies and Gentlemen (not that I think any blokes read this), I am officially a nutritionist!
*applause*

Yep. I passed. I actually passed with flying colours. Big rainbow streamers with lots of glitter. So I am a nutritionist, who celebrates with ice cream.
I like to think I’m a nutritionist for the people. I understand real world issues. I understand that sometimes, money controls what you eat no matter how hard you try. I understand that sometimes it is too hard to make a fancy fresh salad for dinner after 10 hours at work, an hour at gym, a 25min traffic jam and a call from your cousin who just would. not. shut. up.  I understand that people are busy and life is hectic and stressful, and eating healthy isn’t always easy or achievable. I do believe that it should be a priority and most of the time should be ok, but I get it when you get home and have peanut butter on toast.

So yes, when there is a celebration, I will celebrate with ice cream, because that is life.
This ice cream rocked my world for about a week. Mmhmm. It’s so stupid creamy and so so blueberry and amazing. It was so good, the last 2 scoops stayed in the container for 2 whole days because I knew if I ate it, then it would be gone and that would be sad. True story.

Make it and let it rock your world!

Custard:
1 cup sugar
75g cream cheese
2 egg yolks
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cream

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1/8 cup icing sugar
1/8 cup water

Sauce:
Combine the blueberries, icing sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10mins until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  
Custard Base:
Combine sugar, cream cheese and the egg yolks in a bowel. Beat until smooth.

Combine milk and cream in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.

While that’s boiling, set up an ice bath.

Gradually add the hot milk to the cream cheese mixture, a bit at a time to slowly temper the eggs, stirring constantly (I use a 1/3 cup measurement to do this so I don’t accidentally tip it all in and scramble the eggs). Do this for about half the milk mixture.

Transfer the cream cheesy/milk mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk.

Heat on medium-low for about 5-10mins. It should thicken slightly.

Remove from heat and set the bowl in the ice bath to cool for another 10mins or so.

Stir through the blueberry mixture which should now be cool.

Refrigerate the mixture for several hours (I leave mine overnight)

Churn according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Freeze for at least 1 hour before demolishing.
 





2 comments:

  1. A big congratulations! That is wonderful news :D And a gorgeous looking ice cream too!

    ReplyDelete