Sunday, February 3, 2013

Marshmallow Caramel Brownies

You know what I love? When events happen around the same time so I can do double batches and kill two birds with one stone. Not that I  don’t love baking, because I do, it’s more of a money issue. It’s ridiculously expensive to constantly bake. I probably spend on average, $50 a week on various baking ingredients/gadgets. Actually only a few days ago I saw an image of an American department store that sold half kilo boxes of icing sugar for 99c! Ridiculous! I’m paying $3-$4 for 250g!! So unfair...

But I digress. Last weekend I drove the 400km to my sister’s house to pay her a visit, and considering she probably has a sweeter tooth then I do, it would have seemed plain wrong if I didn’t show up with sugary goodness. But, the God’s were smiling on me, because it was my work colleague’s birthday on Monday, and she also has a rather large sweet tooth.

Double baaaatch! Although I actually 2.5’ve the batch since I couldn’t make stuff without leaving some for myself....

Marshmallow-Caramel Brownies

Now, when I originally saw this recipe, the base was made with cookie. I chose brownie because I wanted a thicker slice with less marshmallow and figured I’d have to make a heck of a lot of cookie to make a decent thick base.
I have a love-hate relationship with my standard brownie recipe. When I’m cooking it, I always think it has a ridiculous amount of sugar and it takes a supremely long time in the oven, leaving me guilty and impatient. But then when I eat it, it’s so delicious that all doubts and frustrations leave my mind, and why would I change something that is so scrummy. I may test other versions one day when I’ve got nothing else to cook...although that situation seems unlikely.


  • 200g butter + 1tbspn butter
  • 250g dark chocolate
  • 80g cocoa
  • 65g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 360g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • Packet of marshmallows
  • 1/3 cup caramel chocolate bits



Brownies: Melt 200g butter and chocolate and leave to cool for a bit. (Can add macadamias or peanuts at this stage if you so wish)


In a bowl, mix cocoa, flour, baking powder and caster sugar. Add the melted chocolate when it’s cool. It is important to let it cool or it will be lumpy and gross (don’t ask me for technical terms).

Beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Bake for 25mins (although it takes far longer if you have a crappy unreliable oven like myself.Just keep an eye on it. I find that once the middle stops wobbling, it’s done in a few minutes.)
Topping: In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter and add half of the marshmallows. They burn super easy so stay and stir continuously until they’ve melted. Chuck in the remaining marshmallows and stir and smoosh them off heat to avoid burning.  Keep them in the saucepan for a while so they start to set and get sticky.

Pour over the cooled brownie and attempt to smooth out with a spoon. (I managed to get it everywhere)

Melt the caramel chocolate and drizzle over the marshmallow.



No comments:

Post a Comment