Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pumpkin Porridge

There are many problems about living alone – many of which will not be discussed here but my main problem, which occurs on a daily basis, is too much food. I love cooking and baking. Being alone however, means that after one night of cooking a delicious meal, or playing with butter and sugar, I have a pile of food which I am too full to eat. Not only does this happen every damn day, but it distresses me every damn day. I wish I could cook a different meal each night, and a lovely cake each weekend, but I have no one to eat it – and my freezer is just too small to handle it.

So, I have been forced to cook single serves. Last weekend, I cooked 2 chocolate chip cookies. Yes, 2. Although they tasted great, they didn’t look too crash hot, so will not be featured here. This morning however, I cooked a small portion of Pumpkin Porridge which was so delicious it would be a crime to not share. Oh yeah.
I love pumpkin cooked sweetly. Coupled with some cinnamon and syrup...lord I’ve just gone to heaven.

Note to my sister who is probably Australia’s porridge connoisseur – do not judge me. You will make this, and you will love it.

1 cup milk
1/2 cup rolled oats
3-4 tbspn roasted mashed pumpkin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Maple syrup

Roast the pumpkin the night before. Organisation people. Alternatively, wake up early, chuck some pumpkin in the oven and go back to bed for half an hour. Also remember that when you roast pumpkin, it shrivels up so better to be safe than sorry!
In a small saucepan on medium heat add milk, oats and mashed roasted pumpkin. Cook for 5mins until it starts to thicken. Add in the spices (or add enough spice to your liking). Simmer for 10mins, stirring frequently.

Serve up! Drizzle over some maple syrup depending on your sweet tooth.
 
Ignore the less than appealing photograph - it is porridge after all. Trust me when I say the flavours are amazing though!

No comments:

Post a Comment