Friday, December 6, 2013

Fish Patties

I have two momentous things I must discuss.

1. OMG have you heard Britney’s album?! Fairly sure I lost my marbles while it was  s l o w l y downloading. I love her. I love that she’s coming back. Yeah she’s got issues but gosh, don’t we all?!
2. Continuing the inner 13yr old rant, I’m going to Taylor Swift tomorrow night. I’M SO EXCITED. I’m going with my cousin who, based on her texts, is just as excited. Mmhmm. I’ll attempt to get a decent photo and show off.

So yeah, that’s my life right now. I’m sure you’re insanely jealous.
Anywho, to the point. These patties are so ugly. Ergh. I wish I could have made them look at least a little appetising. What they lack in photogenic quality, they certainly make up for in flavour! Seriously so good. Read that sentence twice so you get it.

I wasn’t actually going to make these because I 100% detest fish cakes. You know when the fish is all ground up with various things and crumbed, only to taste like vomit? Yeah, so gross. So I didn’t have high hopes for these.  I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.
I left these really chunky. It meant more care was needed to flip them, but it also meant you got chunks of fish and spinach and ergh just make them.

 
500g white fish, cut into pea size chunks
2 cups chopped spinach
3 shallots, sliced thin
1tbspn grated ginger
1 egg white
2tsp soy sauce
1 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs

In a large bowl, combine fish, spinach, shallots and ginger. Season with salt and pepper.

In a smaller bowl, add the egg white and soy and whisk to combine.
Stir the soy mixture into the fish.

Add the breadcrumbs and mix to distribute evenly. With wet hands, form into 1cm thick patties.
Heat a large non-stick frypan over a moderate heat and brush with oil. Cook the patties 6 minutes on the first side, turn over and cook a further 4 minutes on the other side.

Serve with sour cream and salad, or on a burger.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fish cake hater myself so if you say these are worthy, I'll have to give them a try. I don't like it when there's something I don't enjoy eating. I always think I've failed somehow. :)

    ReplyDelete