Thursday, December 12, 2013

Chocolate Chai Doughnuts

Guuuuys! I totally went to see Taylor the other day. Yep. Ok so the seats were a bit of a disappointment because we thought they were closer. But still. I saw her, listened to her and relished in her proximity. Is that creepy? Oh well.



I also ate. Oh did I eat. Here are some snapshots of those I remembered to take photos of.
We have a sizzling chocolate brownie (I may or may not have burnt my tongue trying to shove it in my gob straight away), cherry cheesecake pie, apple and macadamia muesli and a salted caramel milkshake.



Not shown is chipotle scrambled eggs which were literally the spiciest thing I have ever consumed. I ate about 4 bites before giving in. By that stage, it had burnt a hole through my stomach lining and I had completely lost my appetite.  Such a waste.
I love my weekends away. Although I suspect they will be few and far between considering I’m in saving mode now. Tragic.

I’ll just have to continue to make my own delicious foods. Like these doughnuts.
Also, while I’m on the topic, I detest those who say ‘donuts’. That is not correct. That was a word invented by Dunkin’ Donuts in 1950’s as brand marketing. Now it seems to be the standard spelling. I do not like it. Nope. Not me.

But these DOUGHNUTS are killer. I made them knowing the boyf would hate them. Ha. If you love chai and spices and the subtle essences that spices bring, then yes these are for you. If you have bland tastes and do not like depths of flavours, then you go buy your boring plain doughnuts and sit in the corner quietly.
You can tell which group I fall under. Make these. So good.


Base:

3/4 cup flour

1/4 cup cocoa

1/4 cup + 2tbspn caster sugar

1/2tsp baking soda

1/2tsp cinnamon

1/2tsp nutmeg

1/4tsp cardamom

1/8tsp ginger

1 egg

1/2tsp vanilla

3tbspn plain yoghurt

3tbspn milk

3tbspn oil

Glaze:

1 1/2 cups icing sugar

4tbspn cocoa

3tbspn milk

Dash of vanilla

Preheat your oven to 180oC. Grease your doughnut pan.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and the spices.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla, yoghurt, milk and oil.

Combine the wet and dry mixtures and stir just until no streaks of flour remain – do not over mix. The batter will be thick.
Spoon the batter into the donut moulds, smoothing the surface. I used a teaspoon and globbed in it slowly, but you can chuck it all in a freezer/snaplock bag, cut off the corner and pipe it in quickly.

Bake for 8 minutes, or until they spring back when touched.
Immediately after coming out of the oven, dump the pan onto a cooling rack, and let the donuts cool in the pan for five minutes.

Remove from the pan to completely cool while making a basic chocolate glaze.
Glaze: Whisk together the sugar and cocoa. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until smooth and pourable. If the glaze is too thick, add milk as necessary.

Dip the top side of each doughnut into the glaze and then place on a wire rack to set.


1 comment:

  1. Hehe was that comment about sitting in the corner aimed at your boyfriend? ;) Very delicious sounding donuts!

    ReplyDelete