Friday, January 31, 2014

Lamingtons

So I only have to work 4 days this week! Why? Because of Australia Day. Hazzah for Australia!!

A day of vegemite, weetbix, cold beer and Triple J. Basically.
Although ironically, Mother Nature was having none of the wide brim hats and sunscreen. She blew up a gale. A cold, wet gale. Totally ruined the hundreds of BBQ’s planned as everyone retreated inside and donned the jumpers.

Ohh Australia you beautiful country you.
Our stormy weather is still going strong. We’ve had hectic winds the last few days, and as of this morning, a cyclone is developing. Fun times.

What makes it more stressful for me? I’m supposed to be flying off to Europe next week.
Wait....have I mentioned that? I don’t think I have. Rookie mistake.

Yes I’m off to Europe to go travelling with my best mate. We’re going to Spain, Portugal, Scotland, Hungary, Austria and France. Six long glorious weeks.
I’ve never travelled before. Well I went to New Zealand last year for a few days....but that’s basically Australia....

So! My point is that I am very stressed right now. Please Mother Nature, do not mess up my plans.
Lucky I have these to keep me calm. Lamingtons – the smoko of all tradies everywhere. Classic.


125g butter

3/4 cup caster sugar

1tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 3/4 cup self raising flour

2/3 cup milk

Icing:

3 cups icing sugar

3/4 cup cocoa

1/3 cup boiling water

75g melted butter
 

Coconut for coating


Grease and line a large lamington slab tin.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, add 2 eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add in the flour alternatively with the milk, beating after each addition.

Pour mix into the tin, and bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes.

Leave to cool completely. I left mine in the fridge for a few hours.
Cut the cake into desired shape pieces. Make sure you use an up and down motion to cut it to avoid tearing the cake.

Sift together the icing sugar and cocoa. Add in the boiling water and melted butter.
Using 2 forks to hold the sponge squares, dip in the chocolate icing and roll in the coconut. Do one lamington at a time.




I also made Not Quite Nigella’s Cheese and Vegemite Scrolls which were fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment