Thursday, May 15, 2014

Spinach Pasta Soup

Everybody is getting sick. Leading up to winter is flu season. Flu season is not fun. Nothing worse than every second person sneezing on you.

Mind you I haven’t had the flu in years. I used to say that so much, and then about 3 years ago I got mega sick and I had to start my record from scratch again. Tragic.
You know what you should be doing to prep? Loading your body with vitamins and minerals to make sure it’s at its peak, and eating foods off the ground to boost your immune system.

I kid I kid. I hold no responsibility if you do that.
Holla at me if you want some vitamin boosting meals!

Originally I made this simple soup for lunches, but decided to add in some pasta for a filling dinner. It’s full of delicious vitamin packed foods like spinach, herbs and tomatoes. Plus it’s super easy and totally delicious.


1 onion, diced

1/2tsp red pepper flakes

1tsp dried oregano

1tsp dried basil

2 cloves garlic, crushed

4 roma tomatoes, diced

950ml low sodium vegetable stock

250g tortellini (or other similar pasta)

200g baby spinach

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium stock pot.

Add the onions, pepper flakes, oregano and basil.
Sauté onions until translucent.

Add 2 garlic and cook for 1 minute and season with salt & pepper.
Slowly add vegetable stock and tomatoes and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for about 10mins.

Add the pasta and cook for another 6-7 mins.
Add the spinach, a few handfuls at a time, and slowly stir into the soup, cook for another 3-4 minutes.

Serve!
 
(sorry about the dodgy picture. I really need to buy smaller bowls....)

No comments:

Post a Comment