Monday, May 26, 2014

Caramel Mudcake

You know what I’m going to start doing? Writing the nutritional value per serve. Mostly because it’s good practice for me, but it’s also good to know in general I think. People might not realise how much sugar they’re ingesting, or that piece they just cut is actually worth 2 serves.

Food is sneaky like that.
Or you could just continue to be all ‘pssh just gimmie the cake’.

Sometimes I still feel like a massive hypocrite writing a baking blog and studying nutrition and preaching healthy eating all day. Actually scrap that – I feel that all the time!
I tell myself it’s ok though because it’s in moderation and I don’t do other naughty things. I don’t drink, I eat BULK vegetables, have a green fruit smoothie/juice each day, eat only lean meats, wholegrains, no processed foods...so I figure that if cake is my vice, so be it.

I still have to keep happy you know!
I made this cake for a friend’s birthday. It was a spur of the moment “crap I should make a cake for tonight” kind of cake. To be 100% honest, I think I cooked it for 5-10mins too long because I was doing too many things at once. It was a bit dry, but the caramel flavour was certainly intense! I thoroughly enjoyed my slice.


Cake:

200g butter

200g white chocolate

1 cup brown sugar

1tbspn golden syrup

2tsp vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 cup plain flour

1 cup self raising flour

Frosting:

125g butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup milk

1 1/2 – 2 cups icing sugar
Preheat oven to 180oC. Line and grease a square cake tin.
Over medium heat, melt the butter, white chocolate, sugar, syrup, vanilla and 3/4 cup hot water.

Once melted and combined, turn off heat and let cool for 20 mins.
Add the eggs, beating well to combine.

Sift in the flours and mix to combine.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 50mins. Cake will be done when moist crumbs stick to the skewer. Let rest in tin for 5-10mins before removing and cooling on rack.

Frosting: Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sugar and milk and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat slightly and cook, stirring, for 3mins.

Turn off heat and set aside to cool.
When cool, whisk in the icing sugar. Start with 1 1/2 cups and if too runny, add more until reach desired consistency.

Spread over cooled cake.
 



Nutritional Info:


 

% of DI

Calories
Total Fat
Sodium
Carbohydrates
Dietary Fibre
Sugars
Protein

430
20.8g
142.67mg
61.9g
0.4g
57.5g
2.65g

22%
30%
7%
20%
1%
82%
6%


 Generally, this was pretty bad.... So much sugar....But moderation people..

No comments:

Post a Comment