Monday, June 23, 2014

Mexican Burrito Bar

Wow! What a week.

So first of all, sorry about not posting last week. I was hectic sick. I caught the flu from the boyf. He didn’t seem to get too sick, but when I got it, it knocked me flat for a good 72hours. It was all kinds of dramatic because it started getting really bad when I was working in Airlie Beach (which is about 2 hours from home) so I couldn’t exactly just go to bed and sleep it off. Then when I did get back home the following day, I didn’t think I would be allowed to stay home because it was a public holiday the following day. Long story short, my work let me stay home (since I was basically dying) and I had a 1.5 day working week! Hazzah!
Secondly ohmygodwhatabouttheworldcup! How good is Australia doing?! No one saw that coming. Ok yesss we still lost, but we lost in STYLE. We fought and fought and impressed everyone with our drive to keep fighting. I reckon if we weren’t up against Chile and Netherlands (who arguably have been two of the strongest teams) we totally would have got through. Sigh. Now we play Spain tomorrow morning and, fingers crossed, we should be in with a chance! Going to be epic.

On a side note, I have a soft spot for Spain. I’m a Barcelona fan and love the old boys – Iniesta, Xavi and Pique seriously rock. It’s a bit sad for me that they’re out.
Anyway, so last week I didn’t cook all that much. Oh plus I moved house so I’m still in that ‘don’t want to cook too much and freak them out’ stage. Yeah....last week was hectic...

But last night I continued on and made my own Burrito Bar for Mexicoooo! It’s nothing special with no real ‘recipes’, but rather just a bunch of small dishes and meats to mix and match.
On the menu we had a choice of barramundi, spicy beef and slow cooked salsa chicken with a mango salsa, tomato salsa and bean salsa, with the usual toppings of bottled salsa, sour cream and guacamole. (How many times can I say salsa in one sentence?!)


Chicken
To a slow cooker, add one jar of salsa and 500g chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 4 hours). Remove the chicken, shred, return to sauce and mix.

Beef
Make a spice rub with 1tsp chilli powder, 1tbspn paprika, 1tbspn garlic, 1tsp cumin and salt. Cover 500g beef strips with the rub and fry in an oiled pan until cooked.
 
Fish
Coat 500g barramundi (or any other type of white fish) in flour. Fry in an oiled pan until cooked.

Mango Salsa
Dice two mangos and 1/2 red onion and add to a bowl. Add a small bunch of finely chopped coriander and squeeze over the juice of 1/2 lime.  

Tomato Salsa
Dice 3 ripe tomatoes and 1/2 red onion and add to a sieve to drain excess juice.  Add a small bunch of finely chopped coriander. Set aside to drain until ready to serve.

Bean Salsa
To a bowl, add 1 tin kidney beans, 1 tin corn, 1/2 diced red capsicum and 1/2 diced red onion.

 
Serve the above alongside jarred chunky salsa, sour cream, guacamole and your choice of tortillas!



No comments:

Post a Comment