Thursday, July 24, 2014

Layered Chocolate Cake

Man you guys, it has been so cold up here. I know most people get like....snow and stuff....but I live in the warmth! Winter’s are supposed to be 20 degrees instead of 30! But lately? We’re getting below 10. Once, I woke up and it was 2 degrees.

I don’t know how to cope. I don’t have the right clothes for this.
It’s all very distressing.

I’ve literally just been eating porridge and soup for weeks now. The cold has drained me of my energy and I can’t even be bothered to cook anything. I just get my soup and go to bed.

How do people live in places that are like this all the time?!

Anyway, should this cake still be in existence, I’m sure it would help turn my frown upside down. I made this yonks ago for the boyf’s birthday.
I might have mentioned that he’s a simple kind of food person. There was no way in heck he was going to ask for a Chai and Ginger Carrot Cake (o0o good idea Monique), so a normal chocolate cake was all I could offer.
Having said that, chocolate cakes really are splendid. Especially when you haven’t had it in a while and you’re all ‘man there’s a reason it’s a classic’.
So people, embrace the simple!



Cake:

1 3/4 cups flour
1 3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup hot strong coffee
 

Frosting:

290 grams butter, softened
3-4 cups icing sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3-5 tbspn heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180oC degrees. Spray two round tins with oil spray.

Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.

With your mixer, mix the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients. Add the coffee. The batter will be really runny. Most chocolate cake batters are. Just accept it.

Pour the batter into prepared tins and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave to cool.
 
Frosting: With your mixer, cream the butter until smooth and has lightened in colour. Add 3 cups of icing sugar and the cocoa. Add 3 tbspn cream and 1 tsp vanilla Add more/less of each ingredient (cream, sugar or cocoa) to get the consistency and taste you desire.

You’ll need your cakes to be flat on top. If yours are domed, slice their heads off to make them flat.

Place 1 layer on your serving apparatus and top with frosting. Plonk the other cake on top and cover the whole lot in frosting. You may not use it all (I didn’t).

Decorate with chocolate chips, shaved chocolates, smarties or anything else you see fit.

2 comments:

  1. this looks wickedly delicious.. i am so craving a slice right now. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! But I have to admit that a chai, ginger and carrot cake sounds divine too! :D

    ReplyDelete