Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Simple Muesli

So today I’m bringing you a very simple recipe. Granola. Or muesli as I call it. None of this American stuff here. I eat plan muesli with Greek yoghurt every morning. Not much – about 50g of each. For some reason this fills me for 4 hours or so, where as I can eat 3 pieces of toast and be hungry 2 hours later. I like toasted oats, and I don’t like too much fruit. I like crunchy stuff that doesn’t make my yoghurt powdery. I don’t like strong flavours. I’m very specific. For the past year I’ve only eaten 1 brand, but I can’t say it’s very cheap. Plus it has a fairly high sugar content. So I decided to make my own.

I mashed a few recipes together I found, and substituted my own measures. It turned out amaaaazing. I seriously jump out of bed in the morning so I can eat this stuff. Plus I now have to force myself to not snack on it. So good.

As an additional bonus, I’m totally going to do a batch for my mother-in-law on Mother’s Day. Excellent gift. I’ll show you photos when that happens in a few weeks.

4 cups oats
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped almonds
1/3 cup honey
4 tbspn sunflower oil
Additions:
Dried fruit (apricots, cranberries, dates)
Nuts (pecans, walnuts, pistachios)
Other stuff (orange zest, cinnamon, cocoa)

In a bowl, mix the oats, coconut and almonds together. In a saucepan, melt together the honey and oil. When that’s hot and suitably blended, pour over the dry ingredients. It doesn’t look like there’s enough but keep mixing until everything is juuuust damp. If you want to add some other stuff like cinnamon or orange zest, add them here (just not the dried fruit)
Dump onto a covered cookie tray and put into a low-heated oven. I had mine at about 150oC. Keep an eye on it, and turn over the oats frequently. Keep going until roasted to your liking. I had mine in there for about 25-30mins, turning every 5mins. And it’s amazing, as I keep saying.

Add in any dried fruit. I added cranberries and a few raisons.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment