Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Donut Holes

Some days I just need something coated in sugar. I woke up one morning feeling like the weight was on my shoulders. You know those days? Everyone has them. So I made donut holes for breakfast. As you do. With all the washing behind me and a grotty floor, feeling blue, I made donut holes at 7am. Personally, I think I’m genius, even if you think I’m crazy.

I’d make proper donuts but I don’t have the right tin. It’s one of the things on my long list of “things I really need to be a killer baker” list. Pity my bank account hates me. Oh the things I could buy! Anyway, I also only dipped half a donut in the melted butter and cinnamon sugar to save on calories. Although I’m fairly sure an extra 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar really wouldn’t have mattered since I was still eating a large amount of sugar and butter for breakfast....
These are supremely easy and delicious. Make them. I don’t promise they will ease the worry lines in your forehead, but they will make you smile for a little while. You cannot be sad with a mini donut in your hand. Fact of life.

As a side note, have you noticed that I actually went and bought cardboard for the background of my photos? Dedication. Now you don’t have to see my small cruddy kitchen in the background. It’s the small things in life.

1/2 cup caster sugar
60g butter
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1tspn baking powder
1 cup plain flour
Coating:
100g melted butter
1/3 cup caster sugar
2tsp cinnamon

In a bowl of your electric mixer, combine all of the batter ingredients.

Mix until just combined, about 20 seconds. Do not overbeat the batter. Lumps are perfectly all right.
Plop into greased mini muffin tins

When cooked and cooled slightly, dip into melted butter and roll into the cinnamon sugar.
I told you it was easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment