Monday, July 15, 2013

Mocha Cupcakes

I’m trying very hard to post weekly updates on here. It’s very difficult though. Let me explain.

Firstly I’m a very intelligent person. I don’t want to sound like I’m blowing my own trumpet here, but I am. Maybe studious would be less offensive? Academic? Maybe nerdy is simply the best way. Anyway, my point is that I live to learn. I’ve constantly got my nose in books, spend hours reading totally random wiki posts, scouring the ABC site for the latest happenings in Australia. I’m basically just a sponge for all knowledge. I can pretty much read an article on absolutely anything and find it interesting. Test me. I dare you.

Since moving to Mackay however, that stopped. I stopped studying, and reading and generally turned into a giant slob who ate cake and watched the hugest pile of DVD’s imaginable. I was in a pretty bad place. Ask my poor roommate who had to witness this lovely downfall.
Now though, I’m doing things. I won’t go into all the personal details, because I don’t know who actually reads this and I don’t like people knowing all my secrets. All you need to know that I am doing an extraordinary amount of things.

1. I’m studying nutrition. I’m taking my love of food that bit further. It’s hectic exciting. I love doing my assignments.

2. I’m going to the gym. Ok so this I’ve been doing for some time now, but it still takes up a considerable amount of afternoon time.

3. I’m learning Spanish. My boyf started a while ago so I’m trying to catch up so we can secretly mock people in front of them. No kidding. We’re pretty rude.
4. My continual baking and cooking.
Did I mention I work full time? So yes, always on the go I am. So I’m aiming to do a post a week. I definitely bake at least once a week, but whether it’s blog worthy is another thing....

So onto these cupcakes. I’m fairly sure these are made from chocolate air. The cake itself is so light and so chocolately, that I still haven’t decided if the frosting ruined them. I KNOW!
If you can’t be bothered making the icing, these cakes will certainly still keep the crowds at bay.

1 1/2 tsp espresso powder

1/2 cup strong brewed coffee

1 1/3 cup plain flour

1/3 cup cocoa

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

125g butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup caster sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

Frosting:

125g butter

1 1/2 cups icing sugar

2 tsp espresso powder

vanilla

Mix the espresso powder into the coffee until dissolved; set aside to cool to room temperature.

Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
Beat the butter with both sugars until pale and fluffy. Remember the longer you beat them for here, the fluffier they become. Add the egg and beat until combined.

Combine the milk, brewed coffee mixture and a dash of vanilla in a jug.
To the creamed butter, add the flour mix and coffee mixture, alternating each until fully incorporated.

Spoon into patty cake liners and bake at 180o for 20-25mins until a skewer comes out clean. Mine shrank a bit in the pan so feel free to fill them a bit higher than normal.
Frosting - Whip 125g butter until pale and fluffy. Add in the icing sugar, espresso powder and a dash of vanilla.

Frost over cooled cupcakes. Garnish with coffee beans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment