Thursday, July 25, 2013

Snack Time

Do you ever wonder what your purpose is in life? I do. Some people are just so sure of themselves and what they should be. So sure of who they are and their place in the world. I’m pretty much the opposite of that.

I’m a town planner, studying nutrition, who spends most of her time reading recipes and planning menus, whilst reading books on sociology, architecture and the natural earth. Go figure. I don’t aspire to be a certain one thing. Every time I think, no I’m going to focus on planning, I think...oh but baking makes me happy. It’s all very confusing. It’s also highly frustrating. I’m a person who craves certainty and focus – and not aspiring to one thing and having a vision is very maddening. Almost heartbreakingly so.
For now I’m trying to juggle all of my loves until I (hopefully) have an epiphany moment and will know what I’m supposed to do with my life.

Feel free to provide me some direction. If you feel the need to pay me a visit, sit me down and tell me what’s right, I might make you either of the below.
These are two SAVOURY dips. I know! No sugar. Sometimes I don’t eat sugar. Sometimes.

I made the hummus because the boyf’s mum eats it by the truckload and I wanted to make a better version that wasn’t full of preservatives.  Ironically I liked it so much that I didn’t even share it with her. Whoops.
I made the chicken one because I had no bread and was hungry. I think this is the best reason of all.

Chicken Dip

200g cream cheese

1 red onion

125g can of chicken (I used one in springwater)

1tbspn mayonnaise

1/2 tbspn soy sauce

2 shallots

Handful of fresh parsley


Dice the red onion finely. Slice the shallots and parsley.
In a small blender, combine all of the ingredients. Season to taste with salt/pepper.

Hummus

1 can chickpeas

1-2 tsp ground cumin

Juice of 1 lemon

1/4 cup olive oil (I didn’t use a full 1/4 cup)


Rinse the chickpeas well. Take all their skins off. (This seems tedious but just pinch them between your fingers and they slide out easily. Force someone to help you and it’ll only take a few minutes)
In a small blender combine all of the ingredients.  Season with salt and pepper. Add more of something according to your desired taste. I added more lemon juice and cumin.

No comments:

Post a Comment