Friday, August 2, 2013

Coconut Pancakes

Growing up, Sunday mornings were the best. My dad would always cook up a big hot breakfast with fried eggs, tomato, sausages, chops – the whole works. We’d sit around the table munching on our food talking smack. Even when the extended family was there, it was always a huge hot breaky with about 2 dozen eggs and a loaf of toast piled high. The best.  

I think that most families have a breakfast together on weekends – well at least all those people who I’ve spoken to. However I’ve found that nearly every other family I know are pancake people. Sure they all sit around and value that time immensely, only they’re munching on pancakes.
Pancakes were never ever on the menu in our house. I think it’s the whole notion of wanting to start the day out relatively healthy and not filling the kids with delicious sugar. It could also be because neither of my parents are particularly fond of the breakfast cake.

Now however, my breakfasts are a rather lonely affair, so when Sunday morning rolls around, I groan to myself and think ‘god I’d kill for someone to cook me eggs and/or pancakes’. But this time, I made the effort because a friend requested a pancake post.

I recently came across a bunch of amazing recipes for pancakes. Some people out there take it really seriously. I however, went for something simple on this cold Sunday morning. I also did not plan ahead so had to make do with what was in my pantry. I promise to do a fancy pancake post in a few weeks.
That’s not to say they’re not great – they are. Fluffy pancakes with a hint of coconut. If you’re a fan of coconut, instead of following the below, add 1/4 cup coconut to the batter and maybe 1/2tsp coconut essence. Yep. That’ll do juuust fine.


50g butter, melted

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1 1/2 cups self raising flour

3tbspn sugar

1/4 cup desiccated coconut

Combine the first 5 ingredients and whisk until smooth.  Leave to sit for 10mins.

Heat a frypan with some butter. Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter into the pan. Sprinkle over coconut. Sprinkle enough to notice it. Don’t be scungy. They are coconut pancakes after all.
There is a lovely cycle that now occurs wherein when you flip, some coconut will fall off into the pan. The next pancake however will pick it up.

Serve with maple syrup.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment